Tuesday, January 23, 2024

012324 quotes plus...

Abraham Lincoln's

Favorite Devotionals

 

January 23

 

Lives a Life of Consecration to God

 

“Christian brothers, I ask you from

My heart to give your bodies to God

Because of His loving-kindness to us.

Let your bodies be a living and holy

Gift given to God. He is pleased with

This kind of gift. This is the true

Worship that you should give Him.”

Romans 12:1 NLV

 

Thine, wholly thine, 

I want to be; 

The sacrifice receive: 

Made, and preserved,

And saved by thee, 

To thee myself I give.

- Bagster

  

I’m Leaning on Jesus…

Cast all your care on Him,

He careth for you;

His promise is given,

His Word it is true;

He clothed the lilies,

The sparrows He feeds,

So tell Him your

Burdens and needs.

 

I’m leaning on Jesus,

He walks with me

Over life’s road.

I’m leaning on Jesus,

He carries my load.

- John R. Rice

 

A friend drops their plans

When you’re in trouble,

Shares joy in your

Accomplishments,

Feels sad when you’re

In pain.

A friend encourages

Your dreams and offers

Advice…

But when you don’t follow

It, they still respect

And love you.

- Doris W. Helmering

 

A constant friend

Is a thing rare

And hard to find.

- Plutarch

 

Friends are people

Who help you be

More yourself,

More the person

You are intended

To be.

- Merle Shain

 

The Hope Downstream…

Travelers in the Sea of Life,
being guided by worry and strife,
floating rudderless toward desperate straights,
drifting aimlessly towards whatever awaits,
are tossed about on stormy waves,
awaiting departure to bottomless graves.

Oh, if only we could leave this ship
and loosen the chains and its horrible grip
of the burdens and sorrows that come with our plight
that's as deep as the ocean and dark as the night.
Who, if any, can save us now?
What can take hold on this vessel and turn its bow?

I hear the waves crashing from side to side,
no place to run to, nowhere to hide
from the fate that lies before us and the 

Turbulent wake behind.

These conditions are causing me to lose my mind.
I hear my heart pounding like an orchestra's drum;
my fears have a power I can't escape from.

Lost, tossed, battered, and beaten,
I lowered my head and prayed for a beacon,
a small light in the night,

something to guide this floundering wreck
towards calmer seas, dry land or a speck
of hope in a place where hardly is found
a glimmer of peace, only happiness drowned.

But wait! Can it be?
Is that the lamp of a lighthouse I see,
flickering dimly on this churning water?
Could we actually break free from certain slaughter?
I looked closely at the dim lit light
shining like a small diamond in this hellish night.

I had almost given up without a fight,
given in to the fears of the troubles that might
take away my peace and end my life
cut apart my soul as though with a knife
and bury my hope in darkness and doubt,
sending me into a spiraling spiritual blackout.

Lord, help me remember when all seems lost,
when my ship is battered, shattered, and tossed,
to look for a Light in the stormy sea
and hold tightly to whatever it might be
in the distance, as small as it may seem
and never let go of the hope downstream.

 - John Raines

 

Hope is the anchor or the soul

And those without it are adrift

Upon a troubled sea

- James E. Gibbons

 

“God gave these two things that cannot

Be changed and God cannot lie.

We who have turned to Him can have

Great comfort knowing that He will do

What He has promised.

 

“This hope is a safe anchor for our souls.

It will never move. This hope goes into

The Holiest Place of All behind the

Curtain of heaven.”

Hebrews 6:18-19

 

If you live without God,

You will die without God

(And without hope).

- James E. Gibbons

 

 

https://searchingfortruth.org/

 

 


 

No comments: