Tuesday, July 09, 2024

070924 post...

Abraham Lincoln's

Favorite Devotionals

July 9

 

“How happy he is whose

wrong doing is forgiven,

and whose sin is covered!

How happy is the man

whose sin the Lord does

not hold against him,

and in whose spirit

there is nothing false.

-  Psalm 32:1, 2

 

The Saviour smiles! o'er my bless'd soul
New tides of hope tumultuous roll;
Earth has a joy unknown in Heaven,
The new-born peace of sin forgiven;
Tears of such pure and deep delight,
Ye angels! never dimm'd your sight.

-       The Believer's Daily Treasure

 ***

“My Favorite Text.”

Someone asked the late Robert Burdette for his favorite text.

He replied…

“When I think of a favorite text half a dozen dear

ones leap to my lips.

Stormy days I want a cloak;

cold days I want the sunny side of the wall;

hot days I want a shady path;

now I want a shower of manna;

now I want a drink of cool living water;

now I want an arbor to rest in;

now I want a pilgrim staff;

now I want a sword, a right Jerusalem blade.

I might as well try to tell which is my favorite eye.

The one I might lose is the one I might want.”

“I esteem all Thy precepts” (Psalm 119:128).

“All Scripture is given by inspiration... and profitable”

(2 Timothy 3:16).

 

To show God’s love,

Jesus died for me;

to show my love

I must live for Him.

-      Anonymous

 

More Mustard Than Meat…

“Sensational preaching,” says Storrs,

“Reminds me of what an English lady said

of the shop windows in Paris during the Prussian siege…

‘That they showed fifty pots of mustard to an ounce of meat.’”

“Bring forth fruits meet…” (Matthew 3:8)

 

In this world it is not what we take up,

but what we give up, that makes us rich.

-      Henry Ward Beecher

 

My Bible and I…

We’ve traveled together through life's rugged way,

O'er land and o'er water, by night and by day;

To travel without it I never would try;

We keep close together, my Bible and I.

 

In sorrow I've proved it my comfort and joy,

When weak, my strong tower which naught can destroy;

Tho' death press upon me, the thought I may die,

We still are together, my Bible and I.

 

If powers of evil against me should come,

And threaten to rob me of heaven and home,

God's Word then directs me to Him in the sky;

And nothing can part us, my Bible and I.

 

When evil temptations are brought to my view,

And I, in my weakness, know not what to do,

On Christ, as my strength I am taught to rely;

So we keep on together, my Bible and I.

 

When life's path is ended; if Jesus should come

And take to Himself His dear purchased ones home,

Or if, in long-suffering He waits till I die,

We shall never be parted, my Bible and I.

 

And when in the glory my Lord I behold,

With all His redeemed gathered safe in the fold,

My Bible and I close companions shall be,

For God's Word abides for all eternity.

-          Edwin Brunswick Hartt

 

Paid In Full…

A young man was getting ready to graduate from college.

For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in

a dealer' showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it,

he told him that was all he wanted.

As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs

that his father had purchased the car.

Finally, on the morning of his graduation,

his father called him into his private study.

His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son,

and told him how much he loved him.

He handed his son a beautifully wrapped gift box.

Curious, and somewhat disappointed, the young man opened

the Box and found a lovely, leather-bound Bible,

with the young man's name embossed in gold.

Angry, he raised his voice to his father and said,

"With all your money you give me a Bible?"

and stormed out of the house.

Many years passed and the young man was very successful

in business.

He had a beautiful home and wonderful family,

but realized his father was very old,

and thought perhaps he should go to him.

He had not seen him since that graduation day.

Before he could make arrangements,

he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away,

and willed all of his possessions to his son.

He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.

When he arrived at his father's house,

sudden sadness and regret filled his heart.

He began to search through his father's important papers and

saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago.

With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages.

His father had carefully underlined a verse,

Matthew 7:11, "And if ye, being evil, know how to give good gifts

to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father

which is in Heaven, give to those who ask Him?"

As he read those words, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible.

It had a tag with the dealer's name,

the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired.

On the tag was the date of his graduation,

and the words PAID IN FULL.

 

***

Jesus Paid It All…

1 I hear the Savior say,
"Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all."

2 Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow'r and Thine alone,
Can change the leper's spots
And melt the heart of stone.

3 For nothing good have I
Where-by Thy grace to claim;
I'll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv'ry's Lamb.

4 And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
"Jesus died my soul to save,"
My lips shall still repeat.

Refrain:
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

           Elvina M Hall

 

I am ready to meet God face to face

tonight, and look into those eyes of

infinite holiness,

for all my sins are covered by the

atoning blood.

-          R.A. Torrey

 

 

 

***

 

Daisy’s Place…

“A Place to Stay When Your Loved Ones Need You”

www.Daisys-Place.org

 

 


 

 

No comments: