Thursday, November 23, 2023

112323 Happy Thanksgiving 2023...

“Let us come before Him giving thanks.

Let us make a sound of joy to Him with songs.”

Psalm 95:2

 

Author Stephen Sumrall tells us about the

first Thanksgiving in America, back in 1621…

 

“Encouraging as were many of the developments

among the Pilgrims, they experienced much sadness,

but they suffered their way through to Thanksgiving.

 

Brimming over with gratitude as a result of bountiful

crops in the summer of 1621…

crops that produced more than enough corn to see

them through their second winter in America…

Governor Bradford declared a public day of thanksgiving,

to which the Indians were invited…

Chief Massasoit was a remarkable example of God’s

providential care for His Pilgrims.

The chief and eighty-nine other Indians joined with the

Pilgrims in feasting on venison, wild Turkey,

vegetables from their gardens, and pies.

 

It was a joyous occasion for all,

as they ate and then competed in games and

merrymaking, and in prayer.

Even though they had endured great hardship,

God had been good to them and they recognized this”

 

- Stephen Sumrall, Pulpit Helps, November 2002, p. 1

 

 

President Reagan once said…

 

Our nation’s motto… “In God We Trust” …

was not chosen lightly.

It reflects a basic recognition that there is a

divine authority in the universe to which this

nation owes homage.

Throughout our history,

Americans have put their faith in God,

and no one can doubt that we have been

blessed for it.

 

The earliest settlers of this land came in

search of religious freedom.

Landing on a desolate shoreline,

they established a spiritual foundation

that has served us ever since…
      

While never willing to bow to a tyrant,

our forefathers were always willing to

get on their knees before God.

 

When catastrophe threatened,

they turned to God for deliverance.

When the harvest was bountiful,

their first thought was

thanksgiving to God.

 

- Ronald Reagan

Proclamation on National Day of Prayer

March 19, 1981

 

Fill All My Vision…

 


Fill all my vision, Savior, I pray,
Let me see only Jesus today;
Though through the valley Thou leadest me,
Thy fadeless glory encompasseth me.

 



Fill all my vision, every desire

Keep for Thy glory; my soul inspire
With Thy perfection, Thy holy love,
Flooding my pathway with light from above.


Fill all my vision, let naught of sin
Shadow the brightness shining within.

Let me see only Thy blessed face,
Feasting my soul on Thy infinite grace.

 


Fill all my vision, Savior divine,
Till with Thy glory my spirit shall shine.
Fill all my vision, that all may see
Thy Holy Image reflected in me.

 

- Avis Burgeson Christiansen

 


 

No comments: