Friday, September 24, 2021

092421 "If I Can Dream"...

There are some songs that just move

You in a special way in your life.

Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless The U.S.A”

Allan Jackson’s “Where Were You When the World Stop Turning?’

Alabama’s “That’s how I was raised”

and last but not least Elvis Presley’s “If I Can Dream”

 

I want to share with you the back story on how Elvis Presley

Came to sing “If I Can Dream” as the finale on his comeback

Special aired in December 1968 on NBC.

 

I just learned in the last few days how Elvis came to sing this song

In tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally Elvis was scheduled to sing “I’ll be Home for Christmas”

A plan enthusiastically endorsed by Elvis’ manager Colonel Tom Parker.

 

However, in light of the assassinations of M.L.K. Jr. and Bobby Kennedy.

Elvis had a change of heart, he wanted to conclude with a song that

Reflected his deep sadness at the racial and political strife dividing

This country.

 

The director agreed…

“I wanted to let the world know that here was a guy, (Elvis Presley)

Who was not prejudiced, who was raised in the heart of prejudice,

But was really above all that.”

- Steve Binder “Comeback Special” Director

 

Binder and Elvis were able to outmaneuver Parker, and for once Elvis

Got to sing what he wanted to sing.

The Comeback Special closes… unforgettably…with “If I Can Dream,”

 

Edited by H.C.

 

‘If I Can Dream’

There must be lights burning brighter somewhere

Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue

If I can dream of a better land

Where all my brothers walk hand in hand

Tell me why, oh why, oh why can’t my dream come true

Oh why

There must be peace and understanding sometime

Strong winds of promise that will blow away the doubt and fear

If I can dream of a warmer sun

Where hope keeps shining on everyone

Tell me why, oh why, oh why won’t that sun appear

We’re lost in a cloud

With too much rain

We’re trapped in a world

That’s troubled with pain

But as long as a man

Has the strength to dream

He can redeem his soul and fly

Deep in my heart there’s a trembling question

Still I am sure that the answer gonna come somehow

Out there in the dark, there’s a beckoning candle

And while I can think, while I can talk

While I can stand, while I can walk

While I can dream, please let my dream

Come true, right now

Let it come true right now

Oh yeah…

 

Songwriter: Earl Brown

If I Can Dream lyrics © Raleigh Music Publishing

 

 Here is the link to Elvis performing "If I Can Dream"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-pP_dCenJA

 

***

 

Martin and Elvis’s dream would come true

If everyone in the world would practice the following

Passages of scripture from the Holy Bible

In their personal lives…

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God

With all your heart, with all your soul, and with all

Your mind.”

“This is the first and great commandment.

“And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your

Neighbor and yourself.’

“On these two commandments hang all the

Law and the Prophets.”

(Matthew 22:36-40)

 



 

 

No comments: