Saturday, December 03, 2016

120316 quotes



Nothing is more important to me than helping my players
Reach their individual goals. It is the basis of my “players
First” philosophy. But at the same time. I am the leader of
An enterprise that cannot succeed unless we march forward
Together. For that to happen, I must persuade these gifted
Athletes to share, communicate, bond, and sacrifice for
One another. I have to make them understand that they
Will not reach their own goals unless they can demonstrate
These qualities.
- Coach John Calipari

I’m now in my twenty-fifth season as a college head coach,
Having spent the last eight seasons at Kentucky. When I look
Back at where I came from … a tiny house in Moon Township,
Pennsylvania, outside Pittsburgh, the son of an airport baggage
Handler and a cafeteria worker … I still have a hard time believing 
what I’ve achieved. Six appearances in the Final Four.
A national championship. NBA rosters studded with my former players.
A short detour of my own coaching an NBA team. And in
2015, election to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Coach John Calipari

I tell kids up front that they will have to compete for playing time. 
The message is very clear … YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR
YOUR OWN SUCCESS. If you want a guarantee, go to Popcorn
State. You’ll play as much as you want and get to take all
The shots.
- Coach John Calipari

Excerpts from, “Success Is The Only Option, The Art of Coaching
Extreme Talent” by John Calipari and Michael Sokolove.




No comments: