Saturday, July 25, 2020

072520 Friends are you prepared to die?



Unfortunately many reading these words are unprepared…

The word defined:
1. Having made no preparations.   
2. Having made inadequate preparations. 
3. Not made ready or prepared. 
-thefreedictionary.com

There are many areas in life where one may find themselves unprepared. 
One area that I would like to address is death. I am a Bi-vocational Minister,
currently serving the Barn Creek Church of Christ, Marion, Co. Alabama, 
and also an Independent Life Insurance Agent. 
I deal with death from a physical and spiritual standpoint every day.

In my work as an agent I try to help people prepare financially for death.
In my work as a minister of the gospel I try to help people prepare for eternity with God. 
It has been my privilege to minister too many of my clients through the years, 
to have prayer with them, to give them a church bulletin to read, to invite them to worship,
to talk to them, to listen to them… to try to point them to Jesus Christ.

Many people that I talk to about their insurance needs are not prepared financially
for their physical death. Life Insurance is not a priority for them, they would like to
have it but they don’t want to pay for it.

Many people that I talk to about their spiritual needs are not prepared either.
Being a Christian is not a priority for them, they want to go to Heaven when they die,
but they don’t want to live a faithful Christian life to get there.

Several years ago I came across a poem that I want to share with you.

I went to a party,
and remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom
So I had a sprite instead.
I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
That I didn't drink and drive,
Though some friends said I should.
I made a healthy choice,
and your advice to me was right,
the party finally ended,
and the kids drove out of sight.
I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming, Mom
Something I expected least.
Now I'm lying on the pavement,
and I hear the policeman say,
the kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.
My own blood's all around me,
as I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
this girl is going to die.
I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying high,
Because he chose to drink and drive,
Now I would have to die.
So why do people do it, Mom
knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
like a hundred stabbing knives.
Tell sister not to be afraid,
Tell daddy to be brave,
and when I go to heaven,
Put Daddy's Girl on my grave.
Someone should have taught him,
that it’s wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom
I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
and I'm so unprepared.
I wish that you could hold me Mom,
as I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, "I love you, Mom!"
So I love you and good-bye.

- Anonymous

“Theses are my final moments, and I’m so unprepared …”
Friends I exhort you to prepare for death! The scripture tells us plain …  
"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment.” 
(Hebrews 9:27)

Jesus … Don’t Leave Earth without Him!

Hayden Childs







No comments: