Tuesday, January 16, 2018

11618 quotes



"I go back to my team I had at Massachusetts when I
played five and six guys. One of the great mentors I've
had in this game, his name was Jack Leaman, coached
Julius (Erving) at UMass. He told me I play too many guys.
So, in 2010 when Coach (John) Wooden was still alive I 
called him and I said, 'Have you watched my team? 
We're not an execution team. Do you have any ideas?'
Coach Wooden: 'You play too many people.' And he said,
'I know why you do, because kids will transfer. 
We played five guys and you earned your space. 
I played a sixth guy if I needed to. You earn it in practice.'

"So, these guys should be happy. They got tired. 
PJ (Washington) didn't play well. I mean, he got tired. 
Hami (Diallo) and Shai (Gilgeous-Alexander), 
when they get tired, their decision-making is not the same.
But I played two guards 39 minutes a game when I was
there at UMass that year. It was the best team I coached – 
I didn't say the most talented, even though Marcus Camby
may be one of the most talented guys I've ever coached. 
The rest of the guys were really good ... I hate to tell you,
they were juniors and seniors. They were veterans. 
But, I played five.

"If you asked these guys, would you rather play half-a-game, 
or just play every minute, what do you think they're going to say?’
I'll be good. I'll play every minute.'
- Coach Calipari

Comments following the 74-67 victory at Vanderbilt 1/13/18




No comments: